Jozi’s Story Of Gold
The Johannesburg Gold Rush
Experience a magical trip down memory lane with our heritage tour.
Enter the historical world of Johannesburg’s gold rush and experience a history lesson that you’ll definitely enjoy on our Heritage Tour. Learn how Johannesburg came to be, how gold was discovered on the reef, descend 75 meters underground plus witness the magnificent glow of a live gold pour!
The Heritage Tour
We invite you to join Veli, a modern day school boy as he takes the journey of a life time in the company of Joe, a well weathered prospector from the late 1800's. This fascinating introductory movie tells the story about the earliest days of Jozi and the discovery of gold.
Underground Mine tour
Descend into the depths of the earth and discover the riches of South Africa’s history on our underground mine tour. Experience the heart stopping feeling of travelling deep below the surface. Feel the cold air and touch the rough rock that holds the wealth of a nation.
Search for the elusive specs of gold that hold the promise of wealth the way it used to be done. Pan the mud in freezing cold water by hand and experience the euphoria of finding a shiny spec among the dirt.
Liquid gold-there's nothing quite like the magnificent glow that emanates from the molten liquid. This is an experience of the heart, soul and mind that you will never forget.
Mr Ohlthaver's House: If you've ever wondered what it was like to be a mine official in the good old days, here's your chance to join Veli as the dinner guest.
Dowse House. Wander through the corridors with Veli as you learn about home-schooling (without the internet).
Oosthuizen House: A "ghostly" experience awaits you as you stroll down the passages of time, where you will see what it was to 'waste not, want not'.
View Jozi’s Story of Gold Heritage Tour pricing.
- Tours are conducted between 09h00 and 15h00 and lasts approximately 2 hours.
- There are no restrooms underground. Please use the facilities before going on the tour.
- Bring a jersey it might get cold.
- Cameras are welcome, however a good flash is required in certain areas – it can get dark in there…
- In the unlikely event of an evacuation, a total of 151 steps will be required to climb to the top.
- All tours are conducted in English.
Underground Mine Tour Restrictions
The following is not permitted on the underground mine tour:
- Children under the age of 6 years.
- Expectant mothers.
- Guests who are visually impaired, physically challenged, have a walking defect, or have a prosthetic limb/s.
- Guests who have a heart condition or afflicted with asthma.
- Guests with high or low blood pressure.
- Guests who have recently undergone major surgery.
- Guests suffering from or having a tendency towards claustrophobia.