Tsogo Sun Sprint
One Of South Africa’s Best Horse Racing Events
Get your heart racing at the Tsogo Sprint. One of South Africa’s longest running and best horse racing events.
South African racing history was made in 1962, when the Pietermaritzburg Turf Club Hosted the Gilbey’s Stakes. This was the first sponsored race in South Africa, but was quickly followed by the Smirnoff Plate the following year. Both races came to an end in 1996, but was scooped up by Golden Horse and was renamed the “Golden Horse Sprint”
The first race was run in 1962
- One of six main races in SA, and the country’s only sprint event that consists of four Grade 1 races in one day.
- Grade 1 races is that these races have the top quality/ most elite horses from all around South Africa who participate in the races. It is the “Olympics” of sprint horse racing.
- The oldest sprint race in South Africa
- Pietermaritzburg’s biggest, oldest and richest sprint event.
- Tsogo Sun has sponsored the Golden Horse Sprint (now known as Tsogo Sun Sprint) for 14 years.
- Golden Horse Casino is the only casino in Africa and one of only two in the world to be located on a racecourse.