Caring Across Communities
Social Investment and Caring Initiatives
Although Tsogo Sun has key flagship programmes, it is also actively involved in areas of social investment and in caring initiatives throughout South Africa. This includes:
- The group contributes R6 million per annum to the upkeep of the Apartheid Museum, which is situated on the greater Gold Reef City precinct. The group also takes an active role on the board and assists with the operation of the museum.
- Each year Tsogo Sun contributes financially to the SOS Childrens Villages who provide residential care for orphaned and vulnerable children in communities that also include educational and development programmes for the children and for families.
- Since 2007 Blackrock Casino has been the home of Newcastle Community Radio station where it receives facilities at no charge. Currently the Newcastle Community Radio broadcasts in English, Zulu and Afrikaans to the surrounding areas and has a listenership of about 200,000.
- The Gold Reef City Theme Park and the Montecasino Bird Park contribute to the less fortunate by providing free entrance to children from orphanages and shelters, and primary school learners who otherwise would not have the opportunity to experience the joys of these parks.
- Every year the hotels within the group generously donate significant amounts of linen and hotel equipment to charitable organisations around South Africa.