Tasting Menu At Tsogo Sun Tasting Table
MAIN: Duck Calvados – roasted duck, served on a layer of Calvados Glaze
- 2 medium to large breast duck breast
- 4 duck leg quarters
- 1 large red apples
- 100ml cream
- 100g butter
- 60g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 60g cherry tomato
- 60g baby butternut
- 40g baby corn
- 40g baby carrots
- 60g baby gems
- 40g snow pea
- 2 medium potatoes
- Trim duck leg pieces of excess fat and scrape bone clean.
- Season, place in oven pan with butter and duck fat, cover with foil and place in oven at 120 degrees C for 3 to 4 hours.
- Peel potato and slice into three lengthwise, use round cookie cutter to cut out shapes, place in oven tray with stock and roast until soft.
- Trim and clean baby vegetables, slice to desired sized.
- Core red apple and slice, cover with brown sugar and set aside.
- Cut breast in half, season and place in hot steel pan, sear till crisp on fat side.
- Place cooked duck leg on baking tray, thinly slice duck breast and place on tray as well, season brush with melted butter.
- Heat potato fondant in pan and check seasoning. Sauté baby vegetables in hot pan season to taste.
- Place sliced apple in pan and allow sugar to caramelise on both sides, (add Calvados & flambé - optional) add butter and cream allow to reduce.
- Place duck under salamander and allow to skin to crisp up.
- Spoon apple Calvados glaze onto plate. Place two quenelles of mashed potato onto glaze and top with duck breast.