Tasting Menu At Tsogo Sun Tasting Table
MAIN: Durban Style Lamb Curry
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 80g butter
- 30g biryani mix
- 3 large onions diced
- 1teaspoon fresh blended garlic
- 1teaspoon fresh blended ginger
- 20g curry leaves
- 4 green chilies sliced
- 100g chopped coriander
- 1.5 kg lamb cubes, deboned
- 50g special Durban curry powder house mix
- 100g chilli powder
- 30g dhania powder
- 30g jeera powder
- 6 tomatoes, blended smooth
- 3 potatoes, cut into quarters and lightly coated in egg yolk
- salt to taste
- In a pot add oil, butter, biryani mix, onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, green chilies, and half the chopped coriander, sauté until the onions brown.
- Add the meat and continue and allow the ingredients to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the spice powders (curry powder, chili powder, jeera and dhania) and cook the spices till the aromas develop.
- Add the blended tomato and ½ cup of water and allow the curry to simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add the potatoes and a little more water allow the potatoes to cook till tender and the oil from the curry comes up to the top.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and add the remaining chopped coriander.
- They curry can be served with jeweled basmati rice, fresh homemade roti and a selection of pickles and sambals.